

In multicultural class one day we were having a discussion on Globalization and what it means. My thoughts are that Globalization is both negative and positive. The reason I think globalization is negative is because in most cases I believe this word is synonymous with westernization. There are countries where the natives are not being taught how to properly cultivate their land, or to build better education systems through infusion. In these cases I think we are not globalizing but westernizing by only pumping in our forms of media and entertainment. What I find so detrimental about this practice is that media and entertainment is so persuasive that we basically push the western way of doing things into these cultures. The effect is that they start looking at western practices as mainstream and the cultures of their country become sub culture.
To back this argument I will share personal experiences. When I was a little girl visiting Jamaica it always seemed like I was going to another country. As a grown woman visiting Jamaica, I feel like the island is more of an extension of the United States. I know a bias playing into my observation is that I grew accustomed to the Jamaican way of life but I feel I am watching as western mainstream media and entertainment slowly takes over the little island. As a girl I visited Jamaica and watched Jamaican plays on television with an antenna, the phone was shared between two residences, and people just seemed more proud of the island’s authenticity. As a woman visiting Jamaica, I watch what I want to watch on television via Dish Network, all my friends have BlackBerry’s and can’t tell me who sings a reggae song because “they only listen to American music.”
Some positive effects of globalization is that countries (including Jamaica) are more connected with other parts of the world, they become technologically advanced, and may also find themselves being introduced to things that may not have been possible leading to what some would call a better life.
There is no regulation for globalizing or westernizing other countries so if people don’t realize what is happening I fear customs, morals, and ethics will soon submerge into one meaning. The only way I see globalization not turning into westernization is through the people of developing countries. The people need to realize that their frame of reference is what makes them unique. That the things their country has to offer do not come second to anything the west has to offer.
I propose Public Service Announcements be disbursed through the countries media. They can be simple spots about loving where you come from, pride and patriotism. The purpose of the PSA’s will be to remind the younger generations of where they come from, and to not let their culture die with their generation. There will also be a call to action, A simple question at the end. (I will continue to use Jamaica as the example) Will you let Jamaica die with you? Or even a statement: Don’t let Jamaica die. I think it is important to keep the identity of every country so that history is not lost and people can maintain a sense of who they really are. With that said LONG LIVE JAMAICA!
Hey Alicia! what you state is true and unfortunately, even sad. At the same time, I believe that there is a way to preserve a country' tradition while modernizing. China is the clear example of what I am claiming. Despite its dictatorial regime, China has been able to modernize while maintaining its own tradition, independence and pride. Jamaica, and every other country passing through a phase of "identity crisis" should strive to do the same.
ReplyDeleteLM